Saturday, September 17, 2011

Kicking off the School Year

Hello! My name is Tayler Mazurski and I’m a freshman at Western New England University. I’m from Wolcott, Connecticut and I play women’s varsity soccer here at the university! I’m majoring in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Criminal Investigation and I plan on pursuing a dual major in Psychology as well.

I ironically found WNE through one of my friends who looked here and ended up falling in love with the school even though it originally wasn’t my first choice. What made me choose Western New England? Well there are a lot of factors that made me want to decide to enroll here for my higher education. First off, the school has excellent solid programs across the board and a wide variety, just in case I may change my mind! Also, the campus itself is beautiful, cozy, and even though I’ve only been here two weeks it already feels like home. From professors, staff, students, and coaches I felt extremely welcomed onto campus and felt a sense of belonging. I love the size of the school too! Not only are there friendly familiar faces everywhere, but academically, I’m not just a number in a lecture hall. I have small classes where professors know my name, face, and care about me and the other students. That was definitely one of the biggest factors in deciding – I just didn’t want to be an average face in the lecture hall passing through. Here at WNE the professors make sure I get the academic attention I need. It’s also awesome that I really have every resource available and a strong support system. Besides great friends I’ve met through social freshmen activities, I have a peer advisor, a life mentor (for us athletes), an academic advisor, and options for tutors as well as help centers. Everyone here makes me feel like I definitely will succeed.

So as it’s already almost two weeks into my first year of college, I am already surprised at how easily I transitioned into life at school. The first two weeks have been so great that I’m extremely excited for the rest of my freshman year. Some things I’m really looking forward to is getting involved in clubs like maybe the Outing Club where I can go hiking, rock climbing, or caving or the community service club that gives back to the surrounding Springfield area. Between soccer, class, an on campus work study job, and socializing, college has already proven to be busy, but extremely fun. I can’t wait to see what the rest of my freshman year has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment