Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Your Neighbors Could Become Your Closest Friends
Being in the dorm with a couple hundred other freshmen does not only mean sharing a similar space but also sharing commonalities and, of course, differences. Coming from all over the country and some from all over the world, we all share the same space in one city. Living here for me is not only where I sleep or do my work, it’s also where I have the most fun. I live in Commonwealth dorm on the second floor, and I live with some of the most outgoing people, so why not get to know most of them, considering you’ll be living side by side for the next year? On my floor, already I find myself having “door wars”, sitting in the hallway chatting for hours with my neighbors, or ordering late night food together. I find that having fun within your hall makes dorm life more than just a place to sleep, eat those famous Ramen noodles, or endure hours of homework, it makes it a HOME. While your hometown and your familiar bed is what we like to define as home,in reality, you will spend 98% of the time living in the dorm, the other 2% only VISITING home. So to adjust to this significant environment shift, your best solution is to immerse yourself in dorm life and enjoy yourself with your neighbors and soon enough, you too will come to call this a second home.
Posted by Amanda Gemme at 6:03 PM