Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My First Weeks at WNEC

I was the kid that was way more than ready to go away to school. I was more than happy to leave my high school life behind me and start anew. Not everyone has these same feelings when going away to college. Some feel nervous, insecure, anxious and even sick about leaving home. I definitely experienced some of those feelings too, but I knew that to get the most out of my experience here, I had to put the commitment forth.


There are so many opportunities to get involved (big and small) on campus that it would be foolish not to. There are trips, events and clubs that help you meet so many different people, it is also hard not to make friends. If you are a shy person, outgoing or don’t even think you are a club type of person, there is something for you. You won’t regret trying new things on campus, if you gain anything at all maybe it’s making one new friend. To me, even if I just met one person doing something, it was worth it to me.


The first couple of weekends are crucial for becoming comfortable here. It is natural to feel lonely the first week and think you have no friends. Trust me, each day you’ll find yourself waving to more and more people and everyone finds their place eventually. Everyone here is willing to help you, no matter what the issue is. The events are really important too because you will see many new and familiar faces in one place. WNEC Palooza was this past Labor Day weekend and it was an amazing time. Everyone comes out and there are activities, music, games, food and we even saw Ryan Cabrera in concert! I have only been on campus for a couple of weekends and I already know there is always something to do. Certainly there are times for work and play, but it’s not too hard to balance once you fine tune your schedule. I am getting excited for sporting events this weekend already! Hopefully it will be another weekend of perfect Western Massachusetts weather with lots to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment