Monday, September 23, 2013

No Worries


I can't lie, I was terrified of being that stupid freshman that has no idea what the heck it going on. I had only visited the campus twice before coming here, so I had no clue where anything was. I didn't know a single soul on campus. I was leaving my family, my friends, and my whole known life behind. I was scared, but I really shouldn't have been. Western New England University is a fantastic community. One of the reasons I chose it was the friendly atmosphere, and I wasn't wrong. It was only natural that I would be that lost little freshman for a few days, but people here are so kind and helpful that I haven't feel stupid for it. Any time you need help at WNE, it's there.

If you're scared for the academics, don't be. First Year Seminar is basically a class that teaches you how to be a student. Yesterday, we learned how to give a good presentation. The class before, we learned how to properly work in a group. On Wednesday, we even took a class trip (that we didn't have to pay for--a victory in my book) to the Big E. The Big E is probably old news to the New Englanders, but as a Pennsylvanian, it was pretty exciting. It was a great way to talk to some more people in my class, and improve my relationships with them (something we've also learned about in First Year Seminar).

WNE is such a supportive atmosphere that the transition into college is easy here. It's a small campus that's easy to find your way around after a day or two. Professors are supportive, and classes set you up to be a successful student. Everyone, from advisers to professors, puts his or her best effort into answering questions. You're only going to be miserable and lost here if you set out to do so, and even then it might be tough.

I'm a worrier, I'll admit, but I shouldn't have been worried about coming here. Only a month into the semester, I'm very satisfied with my choice in WNE, and excited for the years ahead.

Sincerely, 

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment