Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Little Bit of Home



Sophomore year is just flying by! The leaves are changing, the weather is getting a little bit chillier, and autumn is here! The new season comes with exams, fall athletic games, and The Big E.  The Big E is the largest state fair in New England that is held a short drive from campus in West Springfield, MA and is an event that a lot of WNE students attend.  (For more about the specifics of the Big E click here). I went with some of my friends and fellow WNE students on a Wednesday night and it was an amazing time! My favorite part of the night was the state exhibits.  Each state from New England has its own building to showcase itself.  Vermont had maple syrup, Maine had delicious apple cider and lobster rolls, and Rhode Island had Del’s Lemondade. Yum! I am from Rhode Island, so it was really exciting to be back in my home state while I was still in Massachusetts.  It was a really amazing night with friends and I am so glad that campus is so close to the event. I cannot wait until next year!
Me outside the Rhode Island building at the Big E!

A week after the Big E, I got another taste of my home state. CAB (Campus Activities Board) puts on minitrips throughout the year, and last weekend they hosted a trip to Newport, Rhode Island.  We all went down together and were given passes that would allow us to enter up to five of the Newport Mansions.  It was an amazing deal, and an even better experience for me to be back at home but to still be with my WNE family.  I love CAB minitrips.  Last year I went to Boston, and later this year they’ve scheduled a trip to Salem, Massachusetts! Springfield is truly in the center of everything and CAB really makes the best of that.
My view of the Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island
-LyndseySJ


No comments:

Post a Comment