Friday, October 8, 2010

A Refreshed Appreciation

As a senior in high school, we all could not wait for college, counting down the days towards independence and even an escape from home. While, of course, we love our parents, our siblings, our pets, it is not until you leave home and only when you see your family every so often that you come to appreciate their presence again. I remember all through high school, I would say “I CANNOT wait to leave the nagging parents and be on my own”. Well, I’m on my own, and I now look forward to seeing my family and those same nagging parents whenever I visit home more than anything. Those “nagging” parents are the reason I can be here, and for that, I’m thankful for all those reminders. For some, this appreciation has always been present, and college was only a separation, but for me, things were a little different. Throughout high school, I never got along with my mother. We butted heads over everything, whether it was differing opinions or based on school work. Since being away at college, I now text my mom at least once a day and call weekly, just to say hi. I never pictured this improved relationship when packing my bags for school and I am thankful that college has opened my eyes to just how much I appreciate my family and their role in my being.

No comments:

Post a Comment