Monday, October 7, 2013

A Mustache for Your Thoughts

Look at that awesome mug. Isn't that an awesome mug?

Okay, so maybe you're not amused by mustaches as much as I am. To each his own (especially if his own is a really cool mustache mug). I'm not just here to show off a dapper 'stache, although it is relevant to what I have to say. I'm here to talk about roommates.

I don't know if you're aware, but at Western New England University, students choose their own roommates. You can take a survey to get a suggested list of people who would be your best fit, but I just found mine on my class's Facebook group. Being responsible for finding your own roommate might sound kind of stressful, especially if you're like me and know absolutely no one going to this school. I was stressed about it, I'll admit, but it turned out well for me. Even if you don't find your own roommate, it's okay. 

Don't get too obsessed about finding the perfect roommate. Maybe you're meeting this person online; maybe you're meeting them at an open house, etc.  Either way, talking to this person for a few minutes isn't going to tell you what it'll be like living together. Honestly, from what I've seen, people who want the "perfect roommate" end up hating them.

I talked to my roommate for five minutes on Facebook before agreeing to room together. We had a few things in common, so we'd have stuff to talk about, but not so much in common that we'd be together all the time and get on each other's nerves. I think that's all you need to look for in a roommate. She turned out to be one of my better friends on campus. Accepting my "quirky" love for mustaches, she came back from a shopping trip one day with that nifty mug.

Living with a roommate, I'm finding, is just about getting to know and accept their quirks. Find the compromises that make your quirks fit together. Maybe your roommate will get on your nerves one day, but maybe your roommate will be cool and bring you a mustache mug, because she knows you like them.

Picking your own roommate is a nice opportunity, because it gives you a chance to find someone you'll get along with. It's not all going to be pretty and perfect, but it is generally a worthwhile experience. And if things don’t work out, the RA (Resident Advisor) is always there to help.


--Abby Helfrich

No comments:

Post a Comment