Friday, December 14, 2012

Networking, Networking, Networking


Here at Western New England, phrase you are going to hear is “you should be networking and making connections with professionals.” This could not be truer for me. Last month, I started an internship with the Springfield Armor, a team in the NBA Developmental League. I am the Game day Operations Intern for the team, which is the affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets of the NBA. This opportunity was presented to me by one of my professors last year, who brought in Eli Perlstein, the Director of Marketing for the Armor, to talk to our class. This was the first time I was able to meet him and I was able to introduce myself to him. While I did not apply for the internship last year, I knew I wanted to have some experience, and this connection was critical in my search. I sent Eli a message over the summer asking what the internship entailed, and I told him I would be interested. He then sent me an application for the internship.

While I was filling out the application, I needed some help, so I turned to other students that have interned with the Armor in the past as well as the Career Center here on campus. These resources were so helpful that I was hired for the internship. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to be with the team. My roles with the team vary, but for now I am working in the audio room playing music for the team. This internship would not have been possible if I had not met the people who I have, and that would not have been possible if I did not come to Western New England.

No comments:

Post a Comment