Friday, March 4, 2011

Spring Break Reflection

It’s really hard to believe that only 10 weeks of school remain, one of those weeks including spring break. Being so close to mid-semester, thinking about the end of my freshman year is definitely bitter-sweet. I have come a long way since I moved in last fall especially when considering how much I’ve matured. I felt a wave of almost daunting independence when I was first on my own. I have now come to appreciate this individuality as an opportunity to prove to myself and my family that I am fully capable of accomplishing so much on my own. I partly owe the ease of this transition to the people living around me, people I now consider my closest friends.

There was a time when I arrived here that I had no determination to meet new people because I was so attached to the friends I already had back at home. I thought that making new connections meant weakening ties with my hometown friends. When second semester began, I realized when I had a problem, when I was stressed; I was turning to my friends here for support rather than picking up the phone to connect to home. I now realize that there doesn’t need to be a “balance” between my home friends and school friends, having both these support systems equally present just makes my life even richer than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment