Monday, November 18, 2013

Stress-Free at WNE



Finals are a few weeks away, and the stress is building here at WNE. Between now and then I have so many papers and projects due that it's not even funny. Plus, I'm going home over Thanksgiving to see my family, who will ask me about a thousand questions about my college life so far (but it will be nice to see them). 

Honestly, I could write you a post about a bunch of stress-management techniques, but (if you decide to attend this lovely institution) you will talk about those a lot, like I have in the last week. Let me just save you some time by assuring you of this--if you come here, stress won't kill you. You'll learn how to manage your stress through classes (like Health and First Year Seminar) and through your own experience. No one is going to tie you up alone and throw daunting assignments and exams at you. You will be prepared, and there will be help where you need it. Don't get me wrong, you will be stressed, but that'll happen anywhere in life. WNE will help equip you for it.

Instead, let's pretend you're one of my insanely curious family members, and I'll tell you some of what I've loved about this place so far:

  • Friends: I've made good ones, easily. The general atmosphere here genuinely is very friendly, and it's very conducive to meeting people. In my experience everyone's been really open to making new friends. (Side note: most freshmen come here without many friends, so you won't be a lonely freak standing in a corner with no one...unless you really want to be, then go for it!)
  • Faculty: Amazing. I'm only a few months into my freshman year, and I already have a good relationship with my English professor (I'm an English major) that will help me a lot in the future. The professors are passionate about what they're teaching, and they love when you ask them for help because it shows you care.
  • Size: Perfectly small. I have friends at bigger universities that are kind of treated like numbers. Most of the faces on campus aren't familiar to them, and they don't necessarily speak to any of their professors outside of class. At WNE, I feel taken care of. There are some perks to bigger schools, but I was personally willing to give those up for better relationships with my professors, and a more caring community. 
So there are a few of the things I love about WNE. In the stressful weeks to come, those things will help be a little more sane. I'll be able to lean on my friends and the faculty for support, and the caring atmosphere here will calm me down. 

Now, stop asking me questions, and let's go eat some turkey.


--Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment