Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Student by Day, Telecounselor by Night



            Let me introduce myself, my name is Valerie and I am a current senior (psychology major) here at WNE. This semester I am doing an internship with the admissions office to see what it’s like to work “a day in the life of an admissions counselor.” I am leaning closer and closer toward working at a college once I graduate because I love the whole idea of college. Basically, I never want to leave! By day I am an average student suffering with Senioritis, and by night I work as a Telecounselor. My duties involve making phone calls to perspective students, most of whom are not interested in really having a good talk with me. This internship is giving me a different perspective into the world of admissions. I am enjoying this time because I am starting to finally work with students who have interest and real questions, and work on projects that are benefitting our University.
             For the past 2 weeks I was working on the Day Visit Program, where accepted students shadowed a current undergraduate for the day. I helped in matching students and checking them in/talking to them once they arrived to campus. The first day I was a little nervous, not going to lie, but as soon as the first few students arrived I got more comfortable and really enjoyed the program. It is cool seeing high school seniors in the same position I once was. Anxious, scared, and excited to be touring this potential home away from home. It was clear which students were nervous, and who was not, but I tried to talk to a lot of them and make them feel comfortable. This wasn’t some intense day program where they needed to be uncomfortable and serious; I wanted to lighten the mood by chatting with them so they would feel more at ease when it was time for them to spend the day with a stranger. I would label this/my first project with the admissions staff a success. Some of the hosts I know personally and it was cool to ask them after how their day went, and hearing that the two hit it off.

-Val

No comments:

Post a Comment